You can find different models of stethoscope in the market, which may be from different brands or may have been designed for different purposes. Therefore, it might be quite confusing to find out which one is the best stethoscope for nurses. Well, before finding out which one is the best, firstlet’s know a few things about stethoscopes.
Stethoscope is a simple but very powerful medical instrument designed basically for auscultation, i.e. listening to the internal sounds of an animal or human body
Stethoscope may seem quite ordinary device to a person. Well this is quite true looking at structure of the stethoscope, but in the medical line, it has a very crucial role. Doctors and nurses make important use of stethoscope on daily basis. Whether you’re trying to obtain a blood pressure, or listening to the chest of a little one with a cough, your stethoscope is a vital piece of nursing gear.
To any average person, all stethoscopes look the same. However, for medical professional, instruments like the stethoscope come in different types.Here are different types of stethoscopes based on how they function.
Acoustics stethoscope is the most popular types of stethoscopes in the market. In fact, this is the original stethoscope model. Sound is transferred from the diaphragm through a series of hollow tubes that travel up the earpieces. The air inside the hollow tubes serves as the medium of transmission. There are two sides to the chest piece of an acoustic model. The diaphragm is in charge of delivering high frequency sounds. The bell on the other hand is in charge of detecting low frequency sounds. This is why medical professionalstry to interchange between a bell and a diaphragm when diagnosing a patient.
Electronic stethoscope is alternatively known as stethophones. It uses electronic transducers to convert the sounds of the body to electronic signals, which can then be amplified. Nevertheless, this is a very expensive version of a stethoscope so; doctors do not primarily use it. Stethophones are, specifically, used for special applications like remote diagnosis and monitoring. Stethophones can be given a wireless connection so that doctors can monitor the vital signs of a patient from a distance.
It is a special electronic variety that can be connected to a recording device. Some doctors to consult a variety of medical cases with other doctors use them. If they come across a patient that exhibits bodily sounds that they are not familiar with them, they can record the sounds and have other doctors listen to it. This enables a doctor to consult with another doctor effectively and efficiently and can detect the medical anomalies quickly.
Fetal stethoscope is also called a fetoscope. By its name itself, it suggests its purpose. This is a special purpose stethoscope designed to listen to a fetus inside women’s womb.
Different brands of stethoscopes:
Well, the medical market is flooded with various brands of stethoscopes from popular and veteran manufacturers. Omron Sprague Rappaport stethoscope has cchrome-plated chest piece and latex-fee tubing. Lumiscope stethoscope comes with a blood-pressure kit. Prestige is famous for its dual head stethoscope offering dual head chest piece, while ADS ADSCOPE features a stainless steel binaural with a reinforcing yoke and non-chill diaphragm/bell combo chest piece. Moreover, Littman is wildly famous for its Master Cardiology Stethoscope.
Which is the best model/brand of stethoscope for nurses? And why is it the best?
If we dive into the facts of professional consumer satisfaction and product ratings, Littman is the best brand for stethoscopes in the market without any doubt. Littman’s two extremely popular models Littman Master Cardiology and the Littman Classic II SE are often called as “Jack of all trades” because they are multi-functional and yet quite affordable.
Littman’s stethoscopes come in different colors black, orange, pink purple, etc., which is very ideal for nurses to show their personality. Moreover, it is renowned for its high acoustic quality and compact design.
- Tunable diaphragm: Littman’s stethoscopes have tunable diaphragm that enables you to capture both high and low frequency sound.
- Patented chest piece: Littman’s patented chest piece allows for excellent acoustic performance.
- Dual lumen: Use of dual lumen reduces noise interference when two tubes rub together.
- Handy adapter: The handy adapter adds for its versatility. It can be used for listening to internal sounds of an infant to an elderly person.
- Anatomically designed headset: The precisely and anatomically designed headsets allow you to work with comfort as its rests firmly into your ear and will not fall while you are working.
- Excellent acoustic performance: Patented tunable diaphragm with greater surface area lets you listen low-frequency sound with great quality and quickly capture both high and low frequency sounds by adjusting the pressure applied on the tunable diaphragm.
- Good acoustic seal: Its headsets are so elegantly and precisely designed that its rests firmly into your ear canal and will not fall while using it. This enables you to hear regardless of how you are posed and what environment you are in.
- Latex-free materials: It has latex free materials that is friendly for allergic persons and lets you listen to body sound without any distortions that would be caused by allergies.
- Comfortable and non-chill rim and diaphragm: Non-chill rim and diaphragm lets the patient remain comfortable while being examined.
- Noise interference reduction: As dual lumen is used in designing, you will not experience the problem of noise interference, and hence you can listen to internal sound clearly without any distortions.
Well, a nursing student does not have to pick the most expensive model on the market while licensed nurses, on the other hand, must get a specialized model that is recommended by their department. Nevertheless, while purchasing the best stethoscopes for nurses, nursing students need to consider convenience, quality and comfort of the stethoscopes,and licensed nurses need to consider their usage requirement and determine whether they need a Sprague Rappaport stethoscope or Cardiology Stethoscope or Pediatric Stethoscope or Infant Stethoscope.
In the end, if we look the functionalities provided for the price by all available brands of stethoscopes, we can undoubtedly say that Littman’s stethoscopes are the best stethoscopes for nurses.