There are many tools that are important for people in the medical profession or for those who plan to work in such field. Among others, one of the most important to have is a stethoscope. There are many stethoscopes that are available, but this should not give you the excuse to choose just any product, specifically the one that comes with the cheapest price.
If you are looking for the best stethoscope for nurses, doctors, and students, read on and we’ll let you know some of the top picks you have to consider. Some of these stethoscopes might be expensive, but they will be worth every dollar, especially if you are a doctor.
- Our Tops Picks for the Best Stethoscopes for You
- What are the Types of Stethoscopes?
- How to Choose the Best Stethoscopes
- Tips for Using Stethoscope
- Care and Maintenance for Stethoscopes
- Wrap Up
Our Tops Picks for the Best Stethoscopes for You
It is important to note that not all stethoscopes are the same. If you are a nursing student, an entry-level stethoscope might already suffice. However, if you are already a doctor, you need one that is more sophisticated. They may all have the same functions, but they are different on the overall quality and performance.
MD Rose Gold MD One Stainless Steel Premium Dual Head Stethoscope
If you are looking for an affordable product that is best for students and nurses, this is one option worth taking into account. It is hand-crafted by a company that has been in the business since 1971, which can already make you confident about the quality it can deliver.
One of the best things about this product is the 100% stainless steel construction, which is a reason why it is long-lasting.
For your safety, it is also good to know that it comes with Safety Lock Ear Tip Adaptors, which is a patented technology. The latter is an industry-leading safety feature that prevents the ear from being punctured.
It also comes with a dual-head chest piece. Whether you are listening to higher or lower frequencies, there is a side that will ensure the highest level of accuracy.
To provide you with peace of mind, it is also good to know that the manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty. If any part becomes defective throughout its lifetime, this will be replaced by the manufacturer.
- Elegant design and color
- Sturdy diaphragm and thick tube
- Color may easily wear out
- Tube can be stiff for some
3M Littmann Classic III Stethoscope
This is made by one of the most trusted brands of stethoscopes, making it another option that should definitely be part of your list. It comes with high acoustic sensitivity, which is the reason for its accuracy in a wide array of applications.
Looking at the construction of the stethoscope, it can also be said that it is exceptional. The tubing does not contain phthalate plasticizer. It is also easy to clean.
It is also worth noting that there is a tunable diaphragm. The chest piece can be used for both adults and children. The tubing is also made of a next-generation material, which will make it less prone to wear and tear. Some, however, may find the tubing to be quite stiff.
For your comfort, this is also an impressive product because you will have the freedom to adjust the headset tension. The tips are also soft, which will make you comfortable when it is used.
Lastly, this product comes with a five-year warranty from the manufacturer.
- Made by a reputable brand
- Easy to maintain
- Comes with a pediatric side
- Ear tips can be big for some
- Tubing can be quite short
ADC Adscope Lite 609 Clinician Stethoscope
This is one of the most affordable from the products that are mentioned in this guide, which makes this an excellent choice for nursing students. Despite the price, the quality is exceptional, which is why it deserves a spot on our list.
The combination chest piece is made of lightweight aluminum, which is one of the reasons why it is easy to carry. It has CNC precision-machined aluminum alloy, which allows it to deliver superb acoustics.
The comfort that it can provide is also hard to match. Aside from the fact that it weighs only 100 grams, it has Adsoft Plus silicone tips. Even when you wear it for an extended period, you won’t easily complain of discomfort. It also has a non-chill diaphragm and bell, which will be great for the comfort of the patient.
Lastly, with the five-year warranty that is offered by the manufacturer, you can be confident of maximizing the value of your money.
- Lightweight and portable
- Durable construction
- Color may wear off easily
Omron Sprague Rappaport Stethoscope
Among others, one thing that makes this exceptional is the fact that it is multipurpose. To be specific, there are five uses for this model. This is while still having an affordable price, making it a great choice for nurses and students.
Even at its price, there are several inclusions when you purchase this stethoscope. For instance, it already comes with three open bells and two diaphragms. Two ear tips are also included, guaranteeing your comfort. A vinyl storage case is also included.
However, if there is one thing that you should note about this product, it would be the fact that its features are quite limited compared to the other stethoscopes that have been mentioned in this post.
- Comes with a storage case
- Excellent acoustic performance
3M Littmann 6153 Cardiology IV Stethoscope
This is an expensive stethoscope, but the price should be worth it given the fact that it comes with top-notch features. Because of its price range, this is more suitable for doctors than for students.
It comes with a chalice-shaped chest piece with a tunable diaphragm, which makes it exceptional when it comes to versatility. The exclusive design of the diaphragm makes it possible to detect both low and high frequencies depending on the pressure that is applied.
Meanwhile, with the dual-lumen tubing, there are two sound paths that will be passing through in a single tube. This is going to get rid of the rubbing noise that can make interpretations prone to inaccuracies.
In terms of the construction, the chest piece is made of machined stainless steel, which will provide you with an assurance of its durability. Meanwhile, for the tubing, it is not made of phthalate plasticizer and natural rubber latex. The material that is used is effective in being able to resist stain.
Lastly, the manufacturer offers seven years of warranty for this product.
- Sturdy tube
- Diaphragm is easy to tune
- Solid construction
What are the Types of Stethoscopes?
As you try to differentiate the options that are available, it is important to be familiar with the different types that are available, making it easy to decide which one is suitable for your needs.
This is the most popular type of stethoscope and this is where the five products mentioned above belong. Whether you are a student, nurse, or doctor, this will be a great choice as long as you choose one with exceptional quality. It has a chest piece. From here, sound travels all the way to the tube until it reaches the ears.
It has a bell and a diaphragm. The diaphragm is the one the lies flat on the surface of the skin while the bell is the one that sticks out. The bell is also used for picking up a sound with low frequencies.
This is a specialized type of stethoscope as it is made for a single purpose – to monitor the development of babies. In the early days of its use, it is made of wood. It comes with a rounded bell that will be effective in amplifying the sound of the baby’s heartbeat.
This is similar to the acoustic stethoscope with the biggest difference being the fact that it uses electricity to improve the quality of the sound that it is able to pick up. It is heavy and requires batteries, which is why it is not practical for daily use. It can also easily pick up interference from other devices, which makes it prone to inaccuracies.
How to Choose the Best Stethoscopes
To increase the likelihood of making the right decision, this section will provide you with a quick look at some of the most important things that you have to consider.
- Chest piece: This is the one that is responsible for picking up the sound, which is why its quality is a paramount consideration. It should be made of a high-density material that will make it long-lasting. It should also be not prone to interference. It will also be good if both sides can be used for picking up low and high frequencies.
- Earpiece: This is the part that connects directly to the ear. This should be made of a material that is comfortable when placed in your ear. It should also have the right angle. It will be good if the kit includes free ear tips.
- Tube: It connects the two parts that have been mentioned below. Thickness is good in terms of durability. However, even if it is thick, make sure that it is not too stiff. It should also have insulation to preserve the quality of the sound that passes through it.
Tips for Using Stethoscope
It is not enough that you choose the best stethoscope that you can find on the market. To maximize its use and improve accuracies of your interpretations, here are some of the most important things that you need to do:
- Make sure that the ear tips are properly fitted. If they are too loose, there is a risk that the sound that you will hear will lack accuracy.
- Use the stethoscope in a place that is free from external sound and interference from other devices.
- See to it that there is skin contact. It should never be used on the top of clothes. The quality of the sound will be lost once it travels on fabric, which is why it is best to be used on bare skin.
- Look at the seal of the stethoscope. In the case of most models, it comes with an airtight seal that will preserve the sound quality.
Care and Maintenance for Stethoscopes
It is inevitable that stethoscopes will be prone to wear and tear. To keep it in its best condition and preserve is top-notch quality, here are some points to remember:
- You should take the time to disinfect your stethoscope. The best way to do this is to rub it with a clean cloth that has 70% isopropyl alcohol. Make sure to not soak or immerse it in alcohol or any other liquid.
- After cleaning the stethoscope, make sure to dry it thoroughly. You can wipe it off with a clean and dry cloth.
- When you are not using the stethoscope, keep it in a bag or case. This will offer protection from external elements that could speed up wear, such as dirt and dust. Store it in a place that is not extremely hot or cold.
- Replace the ear tips from time to time. In some models, extra tips are included. Replacing and cleaning the tips will be good for making it hygienic and for improving the quality of the sound that you can hear.
In sum, the best stethoscope of nurses, doctors, and students is an essential investment for anyone who is in the medical field. This is an important gear that should deliver accurate interpretations and exceptional acoustics, among other things. While there are many choices, the five products that have been briefly reviewed in this post are some of the most promising.